A History of Omaha North High School
North High School opened in September 1924. North opened as an eighth through twelfth grade school and had 650 students its first year. The building’s first principal was Edward E. McMillian. In 1983, North was designated a school focused on math, science, and technology. In 1993, the school completed a $20 million renovation that included the Viking Center, renovation of the library, and the addition of the multipurpose physical education and athletics facility. In the early 2000’s, North shifted its focus to specialize in the fields of science, engineering and technology. To complement this focus, in 2010 a new four-story 32,092-square foot addition was added. It consists of science, media technology, engineering classrooms, and labs space, as well as a wrestling practice room in the basement. With this building, North became the first school in Nebraska to be certified under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) for Schools, earning a Silver certification. North has exclusive programs offered in OPS, North students can participate in a four-year Project Lead the Way (PTLW) courses in BioMedical Science, Computer Science and Engineering. Omaha North also offers a comprehensive math curriculum with multiple opportunities for college credit and advanced coursework. We also offer over 40 clubs and organizations available to all students, every Viking can find a place where they belong.