Work Permits

  • Students can see their counselor to obtain a work permit.

    Basic Information: Youth 14 and 15 years of age shall not be permitted to work more than eight hours a day, 48 hours a week, before the hour of 6 a.m. or after the hour of 10 p.m. under state law. Federal hour restrictions are: not more than three hours on a school day; not more than 18 hours in a school week; not more than 8 hours on a non-school day; not more than 40 hours in a non-school week; and not before 7 a.m. nor after 7 p.m. (9 p.m. from June 1 through Labor Day).

    The Department of Labor is authorized to issue a special permit to allow the employment of 14 and 15-year-old youth before 6 a.m. or after 10 p.m. provided there is no school scheduled the following day and after an inspection of the working conditions at the business premises. The special permit may be issued for periods not to exceed 90 days and may be renewed. The fee for each special permit or renewal shall be $10.

    Special permits cannot be issued if the business falls under Federal Law.

    Youth under 16 years of age may not be employed in any work which by reason of the nature of the work is dangerous to life or limb, or in which their health may be injured or their morals depraved.

    The presence of a child apparently at work is prima facie evidence of employment.

    Employment Certification Instructions

    NOTE: This Employment Certificate is for the sole use of City School Superintendents in designated public high school districts and their designees. It is not for use by the general public for other than informational purposes.

    Print one certificate, complete, sign and then make two copies.

    The Employment Certificate is issued in triplicate: one copy to the business, one copy to the Nebraska Department of Labor, and one copy for the files of the issuing officer. The employer must keep the Employment Certificate on file and return the certificate to the school issuing the same when the child leaves employment.

    The employer must keep posted a printed notice (Form 110) stating the hours of work of the child in the room where the child works.