School Transfer Request

  • A student raises their handAt the elementary, middle and high school levels, the current Student Assignment Plan (SAP) allows a student to attend their home attendance area (neighborhood) school based on the student's residential address. In addition, students can apply to attend a non-neighborhood (transfer) school. This request must be approved by the Student Placement Office. Approval of application request is subject to:

    • space availability (capacity) at the requested school
    • student's academic achievement & enrollment history
    • student conduct (behavior record) - Level 3 and/or Level 4 offenses or repeated misconduct involving Level 1 and Level 2 offenses
    • TIME of the YEAR – Transferring students while the academic semester is in session may cause a substantial disruption to the student’s academic progress.  Unless a student has moved, approval of a transfer request will be denied during the academic term.  This includes requests for the neighborhood school, which can be delayed to the next term.

    Students returning to Omaha Public Schools from alternative settings may be placed into an Omaha Public Schools Alternative program.

    Transferring students while the academic semester is in session may cause a substantial disruption to the student’s academic progress and the classroom environment at the receiving school. Unless a student has moved, transfers during the academic term will be denied or delayed until a new term begins. This may include requests for the neighborhood school. 

    Beginning April 15, you may email Student Placement to request a school transfer. Only your neighborhood school is guaranteed. 

    When schools reach capacity enrollment, non-neighborhood students will not be approved. 

    A Proof of Address (POA) is required to enroll or update an address in the Omaha Public Schools.   Acceptable documents (listed below) must have the name of the parent/guardian and be no older than 3 months.     

    • OPPD / MUD utility statements
    • Cox Cable or Century Link statements
    • Mortgage Statements
    • Rental agreements 
    • HHS Statements (dated)

    Do you reside with another family? In cases where all the examples listed above are in the name of another family, then we require a residency affidavit. We require the homeowner/renter to accompany the family wishing to change their address to the placement office at the TAC building. The homeowner/renter will be asked to provide proof of address, valid photo identification and sign an affidavit stating the family in question resides with them.    

    Please visit us at the Teacher Administrator Center (TAC building). Administrators will be available to assist you on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m..  

    You may contact Student Placement if you have any questions regarding transportation or neighborhood school enrollment.


    The OPS Student Assignment Plan only guarantees placement into your neighborhood school. At the elementary level, schools are grouped into partner zones. Transportation only occurs to schools within your zone and you must live more than one mile from the school.

Transfer Request Forms for Mail or Email