Washington Elementary has a history of families with many second and third generations who live in the neighborhood and are attending the school. Washington opened in 1923 with a four-room unplastered structure. In 1926 the first wing of the permanent brick building was ready for use. Additions in 1929 and 1936 completed the building until the addition in 1974 of a satellite kitchen. Attendance in the K-8 building grew to 662 in 1959. With the opening of George Norris Junior High, Washington became a K-6 school.
The first administrator of the school, Mrs. Martha Phillips, was a teaching principal. Of the principals who succeeded her, two were long-term. Mrs. Bertha (Peterson) Buckner was principal from 1942 until 1961. Mrs. Linda (Peterson) Krause retired in June 1997 after 28 years at Washington.