2020-2021 ZAP INFORMATION
For updated ZAP information during the 2020-2021 school year, https://www.omahazoo.com/schools-at-the-zoo
This publication is supported in part by 21st Century Community Learning Center federal funds under Title IV, Part B of the Elementary and Secondary Act as amended.
Zoo Afterschool Program Information and Expectations
What is ZAP?
ZAP is the Zoo Afterschool Program. Through a partnership between Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium and Bancroft and Castelar elementary schools, ZAP provides inquiry-based STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) learning opportunities for students that will inspire interest, ability, and value for STEM in the natural world. In ZAP, students explore interests through hands-on lessons, learn life skills, and practice art and athletics.
- Program begins at 4:05 p.m. Students are escorted from their classrooms immediately after school.
- Program ends at 6:00 p.m. and all students must be picked up by 6:10 PM.
- Students will be provided homework time and a hot meal.
- ZAP is a free program. All corresponding paperwork and agreements must be filled out and signed to participate in this program.
- Students are expected to attend at least 60% of each month to stay enrolled in the program.
- ZAP follows OPS Student Code of Conduct.
- Students must be respectful of all zoo animals and visitors while on zoo field trips.
- Inappropriate behavior may result in suspension or removal from the program.
- Students must be picked up at 6:00 PM.
- Pick up will be at your vehicle. Please remain in your vehicle and a staff member will release your student to your car. Parents will park in a designated pickup location outside of the school. If you are walking and picking up your child, please practice social distancing or wear a mask. Due to health guidelines, parents are not allowed to enter the school building unless prior arrangements have been made.
Health and Safety
We remain focused on the safety and health of our animals, students, and staff. Classrooms and high touch surfaces will be sanitized before, during and after use. Students and staff are required to wear masks while inside buildings. Children under age 5 are exempt from this rule, as well as those with medical concerns. Students who are not feeling well, must stay home.
Parent/Gaurdian Contract Click Here