3/21 Daily Circular
STUDENTS & STAFF CIRCULAR
FRIDAY, MARCH 21, 2014
TODAY IS A B DAY
ACT: Friday, March 21st is the last day to register for the April 12th ACT. A late fee will be charged. After Friday, students can register as a stand-by, but cost will increase. Students register on-line at www.actstudent.org. The next ACT is June 14th. All college-bound juniors are encouraged to take the ACT and/or SAT. A. Meyer
CHEERLEADING INFORMATIONAL: Students interested in cheerleading for the 2014-2015 school year must attend the informational on Wednesday, March 26 in the cafeteria. The meeting starts at 3:30 . D. Kirksey
CHS DRAMA DEPARTMENT: Will be selling coffee and hot chocolate for $1 in the auditorium lobby and at the “C” on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Add flavors for 50 cents more! Get a warm blast of energy on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays for only a dollar! S. Mead
· Next Tuesday, March 25th, during 7th period, we’ll be Skyping with Todd Strasser, author of more than 120 books! Please come to the library to sign up for the 40-minute visit! All students and staff are welcome.
· Don’t forget! Teachers in the four main subjects—Math, English, Science, and Social Studies—are available for tutoring Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 3:10 to 4:00. Homework Help is free and you don’t need an appointment to join us!
· Personal scholarship interviews will take place in the library today, so the library will be closed to all students and staff. We will reopen Monday morning at 7:00 AM.
METHODIST HOSPITAL FUNDRAISER: Over the next eight days (March 18 through March 27), NHS will be holding a fundraiser to help out Methodist Hospital, one of Central’s Corporate Sponsors. Each day NHS will collect any loose change/money you would like to donate and credit your homeroom. The winning homeroom will be the homeroom that has the highest average dollar amount per student collected. That homeroom will receive donuts for a week and a pizza party. The 2nd place homeroom will win donuts for three days and the 3rd place homeroom will win donuts for two days. Last year we raised over $2700; and if we can raise $2300 this year, Central will have its name placed on the dedication wall at Methodist. Methodist has never before had a school recognized on their donor wall. Let’s make this a first. Help support Methodist Hospital and give back to our Community—The Eagle Way. P. Nielson
SCHOOL TRADITIONS – SENIORS: School Traditions will be here to deliver announcements on Wednesday, March 26th and Thursday, March 27th in the main office conference room. Call School Traditions at 402-733-0300 to check your balance. Your balance must be paid to pick up your announcements and graduation accessories. D. Kirksey
· 2014 TEACHER OF THE YEAR AWARD: The Central High School Foundation recognizes the Central High Teacher of the Year at the Senior Recognition Night. Previous Teachers of the Year include Lyn Bouma (1999), Vicki Wiles (2000), Carol Hipp (2001), Vicki Deniston-Reed (2002), Alice Bunz (2003), Harry Gaylor (2004), Scott Wilson (2005), Matt Deabler (2006), Rita Ryan (2007), Matt Hamill (2008), Greg Sand (2009), Peter Wilger (2010), Jennifer Stastny (2011), Brent Larson (2012), and Jane Colling (2013). Graduating seniors, and/or their parents, are encouraged to write a nomination letter in support of a current CHS teacher, coach, or activity sponsor who has made a significant impact on the student’s Central experience. An outline for the letter may be downloaded from the senior page of the CHS website. Nomination letters should be addressed to Teacher of the Year, c/o Michele Roberts, 1823 Harney Street, Suite 203, Omaha, NE 68102-1913. If you have questions, please call Ms. Roberts at 402-556-1996. All forms are due to the Foundation by March 24. D. Kirksey
· 2014 SENIOR STUDENT OF THE YEAR AWARD: The Central High Foundation funds a $1,000 scholarship to one graduating senior. The scholarship’s recipient is announced at Senior Recognition Night. The application form for this honor is available for download from the senior webpage on the CHS website. All applications are due by March 24. The application/nomination forms should be addressed to Senior Student of Year Scholarship, c/o Michele Roberts, 1823 Harney Street, Suite 203, Omaha, NE 68102-1913. If you have questions, please call Ms. Roberts at 401-556-1996. D. Kirksey
COLLEGE CENTER INFORMATION:
Upcoming College Visits:
Clarkson College Friday, March 28 8:50 AM CHS Courtyard
Juniors & Seniors—sign up through your Naviance Account—print out a pass for the College Visits. If you sign up, Mark Your Calendar. It is your responsibility to remember your appointment!
LUNCH FOR FRIDAY: Hot Dog on a Bun
Cheese Pizza Wedge
Steamed Broccoli Sandwich: Country Boy
Sample: Smokin’ Joe’s Cheese Nuggets
Chef Salad: Turkey, American
LUNCH FOR MONDAY: Menu not available